Have you finally decided to pursue your MBA degree in South Africa? Wondering, which are the top MBA business schools in South Africa? Business Link is here to help…
It is no secret, employers love Master of Business Administration (MBA) graduates – not just in South Africa, but the world over. As a result, the MBA is probably the world’s best known and most widely recognised business postgraduate degree.
However, attaining an MBA is not easy especially when one is trying to balance it with work. Getting an MBA is also often very costly. Consequently, if a person is to do an MBA they want to do it with a reputable and recognised business school or risk having their MBA, yet struggling to get hired.
This is important as nowadays, people are inundated with adverts from sometimes questionable online colleges that offer many courses and degrees – including MBAs.
To help narrow down your search for a business school to enrol with for your MBA in South Africa, we have created the list below.
Top MBA schools in South Africa
Our list of the top MBA schools in South Africa in no way ranks the business schools. This is because every year, a new list of the top business schools in South Africa is published by various bodies using different ranking criteria.
Often these business schools are ranked based on ratings provided by students and companies as well as assessments of course design, faculty, teaching methods and facilities.
Our list of the top business schools in South Africa is for anyone wanting a guide as they decide who to enrol with for a generally resected MBA.
- University of Pretoria – Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS): One cannot talk of the top business schools in South Africa and Africa without talking about the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS). It offers among the world’s best full time and part-time MBA, general management, business skills, short course other post graduate studies. The school is based in the heart of Illovo, Johannesburg, close to the Sandton financial and commercial business hub. An MBA from GIBS certainly puts one ahead of the flock.
- University of Cape Town (UCT) – Graduate School of Business: The UCT Graduate School of Business is the business school of the University of Cape Town, which is coincidentally South Africa’s oldest university. It offers part-time and full time MBA, Executive Short Courses. The UCT Graduate School of Business has consistently been ranked among the top business schools not just in South Africa, but on the African continent. An MBA from UCT is a sure foot in the door for graduates.
- University of the Witwatersrand – Wits Business School (WBS): As one of the oldest, most established business schools in Africa, Wits Business School (WBS) has been graduating business leaders for over fifty years. It is based at Parktown, Johannesburg, and offers management and leadership courses. It has been listed in the Top 100 best schools for Executive Education in the world.
- Regent Business School: Based in Durban Central, Durban, the REGENT Business School (RBS) is a registered private higher education institution. It is among the top business schools in South Africa offering a range of accredited business management courses and the MBA at postgraduate level.
- University of Stellenbosch Business School (USB): University of Stellenbosch Business School is the business school of the University of Stellenbosch at the institution’s Bellville Park Campus in Bellville, Cape Town. USB was the first school from an African university to obtain all three major international accreditations – AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. The School is a member of several international academic bodies, including the European Doctoral Programmes Association in Management and Business Administration (EDAMBA).
- Milpark Education – Milpark Business School: Established in 1997, Milpark Education is a private premium business education provider offering distance learning, online and contact learning in South Africa. Based in Richmond, Johannesburg, it is the first South African private school to achieve accreditation with UK-based Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the first online MBA in South Africa to obtain AMBA accreditation.
- Rhodes University – Rhodes Business School: The Rhodes Business School is ranked among the best universities and business schools in South Africa. Based in Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown), the school offers MBA, PDEM, executive and short courses. The Rhodes Business School MBA programme is accredited by the Association of MBA’s (AMBA).
- Henley Business School Africa: The Henley Business School Africa, which is based in Paulshof, Johannesburg, is a campus of the British-based Henley Business School, one of the oldest business schools in Europe and part of the University of Reading. It opened doors in South Africa in 1992 and offers MBA, DBA, PhD, Executive Education, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Regenesys Business School: Regenesys Business School is reputedly one of the top 5 private business schools based in Sandton, Johannesburg. It was founded in 1998 and offers a range of accredited business programmes and management courses.
- Nelson Mandela University Business School: Based in Port Elizabeth, the Nelson Mandela University Business School is rated among the top business schools globally and on the African continent. The School is one of only a few in Southern Africa to have obtained international accreditation from AMBA (MBA programme) and EDAMBA (DBA programme).
- Management College of South Africa (MANCOSA): The Management College of Southern Africa is a distance education institution located in Durban. It was established in 1995 and primarily offers online distance learning from undergraduate business studies to Doctoral level. It is accredited with authorities in South Africa, Mauritius, Eswatini, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi and Botswana.
- University of KwaZulu-Natal Graduate School of Business and Leadership: A full member of the Association of African Business Schools (AABS), the University of KwaZulu-Natal Graduate School of Business and Leadership has an established track record in providing management education and training to business and public sectors. In 2018, PMR Africa ranked third best business school in South Africa.
- University of South Africa (UNISA) Graduate School of Business Leadership: The UNISA Graduate School of Business Leadership is regarded as one of the top business schools in South Africa. The SBL has reputedly produced more than a third of all the MBL/MBA degrees awarded by South African universities since its inception in the 1969. Based in Midrand, it is enjoys international accreditation including with the AMBA.
- North-West University – School of Business & Governance: The NWU School of Business & Governance’s MBA is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA) among other respected accreditors. The school continually appears in rankings of the top business schools in South Africa.
- Tshwane University of Technology Business School – The TUT Business School is ranked among the best universities and business schools in South Africa. It offers state-of-the-art facilities for postgraduate education in business, management and entrepreneurship and appears on various rankings as a top business school.
Other MBA business schools in South Africa
There are still many other public and private colleges and business schools that also offer MBAs in South Africa.
Failing to get into the above, a person can always try the below to attain an MBA or other business related qualifications:
- SA Business School
- CIDA City Campus
- Southern Business School
- South African College of Business (SACOB)
- The Business School at Varsity College
- Turfloop Graduate School of Leadership – University of Limpopo
- University of the Free State Business School – University of the Free State
- Faculty of Economic and Financial Sciences – University of Johannesburg (UJ)
- Monash South Africa
For more information on top MBA schools or business schools in South Africa, visit the South African Business Schools Association (SABSA) at www.sabsa.co.za.